Brian Ford Music Songwriter

Direct Licencing Policy

Public Performance and Transmission Rights

1.1 This is the direct licensing policy of Brian Ford Music. Within Australia, most of the licensing of my sound recordings and music videos for public performance or transmission is handled by the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA), except for the licensing of recordings to film, television episodes and webservices episodes and the drawing up of Synchronisation Agreements. 

1.2 PPCA licensing encompasses broadcast within Australia, as well as the rights to communicate a sound recording from Australia by means of a simulcast into one or more worldwide territories governed by the International Federation of Phonographic Industry (IFPI). Should you wish to enquire about licensing any of my recordings for broadcast within one of the IFPI territories outside of Australia, please contact further information. 

1.3 The PPCA grants licences for sound recordings and music videos to the following types of businesses and for the following purposes: 

a) festivals, events; 
b) concert venues; 
c) radio stations; 
d) television stations; 
e) nightclubs; 
f) restaurants and cafes; 
g) schools and universities; 
h) gymnasiums and fitness centres; 
i) music on hold; 
j) community halls; 
k) shopping centres; 
l) childcare centres; and
m) other public places.

1.4 Within Australia, the PPCA also handles the rights to reproduce and communicate artwork associated with a sound recording or music video for display in conjunction with the communication of that sound recording or music video to the public by means of a webcasting service, interactive webcasting service or an audio only broadcasting service (such as iTunes) licensed by the PPCA. 

1.5 If you require a licence for the public broadcast or transmission of one of my sound recordings, music videos or associated artwork within Australia you should contact the PPCA at or call (02) 8569 1111. 

1.6 Once you have paid the licence fee and have signed the licence agreement you are permitted to use my sound recording and/or music video in accordance with the terms and conditions of the licence. 

1.7 You will also need to contact the Australasian Performing Rights Association and the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (APRA/AMCOS) to acquire a licence from them for the use of the musical works and lyrics. See or call APRA/AMCOS on 1300 852 388 and ask to speak with their licensing department. 

Direct Licencing for Film, Television and Webservices

2.1 Brian Ford Music only provides non-exclusive licences. This means that I may offer the same licence to more than one production concurrently. 

2.2 The licence I would grant to your production would be by way of a Synchronisation Agreement. For this, you will need to provide the following information: 

a) the name of your production company; 
b) the Australian Business Number of your production company; 
c) the contact details of your production company and of the person acting on behalf of your company; 
d) an accurate estimation, to the best of your ability, of your viewership; 
e) the title of each sound recording you wish to use; 
f) a brief description of the scene and/or visuals over which you intend to use the sound recording; and
g) how long you require the licence (I generally grant licences for a period of between 12 months and 4 years, negotiated on an individual basis). 

2.3 Licence fees are negotiated on an individual basis. 

2.4 The licence to use the sound recording is separate from any licence required in respect of the underlying copyright in the music and lyrics on the sound recording. Unless the underlying musical works are no longer protected by copyright, you will also need to obtain permission to use the underlying musical works. Permission to use musical works where the copyright is held within Australia can be sought from APRA/AMCOS, who will issue a separate Synchronisation Agreement. For works where the underlying copyright is held outside of Australia, you will need to contact the performing rights association in the relevant territory. 

2.5 Brian Ford Music reserves the right to issue a Synchronisation Agreement by way of a transmitted document or an email, depending on my time restrictions, and both will be considered a contract by way of law. 

2.6 To enquire about directly licensing any of my sound recordings and/or associated artwork for film, television or webservices, please email